Here’s an expensive and indulgent last minute gift to make for Christmas.
If you’re fortunate enough to be growing your own like Linda, then this is a perfect way to use them. Or, if cost is an issue, this recipe works brilliantly with mixed nuts, or unblanched almonds (which were just $10 a kilo at Southern Cross Supplies).
I used Billington’s Molasses Sugar, a discovery from earlier in the year. It’s quite different to the Muscovado sugars offered by the same company, and imparts a deep, rich flavour to the maccies…
- 500g whole macadamia nuts, or any other assortment of mixed nuts
- 1 egg white
- 25g (about 2 US tablespoons) Billington’s Molasses Sugar (or dark brown sugar)
- 2 teaspoons Maldon salt flakes
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon Kashmiri chilli powder
Note: I’ve added approximate imperial measures for my friends in the US. This isn’t an overly precise recipe and you could use whatever you have on hand, although I have found the above combination of spices particularly appealing.
1. Preheat oven to 160C/325F with fan. Line a large baking tray with a sheet of parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg white until foamy, then whisk in all the other ingredients except the nuts. Add the nuts, and stir well to coat completely in the spice mix. I use clean hands to do this, breaking up the lumps of sticky sugar as I go.
3. Tip the nuts onto the lined tray and spread them out into a single layer. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the tray from the oven and stir the nuts to unstick them from the paper and break up any clumps. Don’t burn yourself!
4. Return the tray to the oven for another 5 – 7 minutes, until golden brown. Allow the nuts to cool on the tray, during which time they’ll harden up and go crunchy. If you like, you could sprinkle over extra salt at this point. Once the nuts are completely cool, store in an airtight container for up to three weeks.
I’ve packaged the nuts in small sealed bags and added them to our Christmas mini-hampers. Easy, expensive and very special!