Posts Tagged ‘buying bannetons in Sydney’

I tried baking my high hydration ciabatta dough in my new bannetons.

It was a fiddly process – the ciabatta dough was almost too wet to shape – but the end result was quite pleasing nonetheless.  I rose both loaves in my oval bannetons, and slashed one with three long vertical cuts, and the other with diagonal horizontal slashes.

The dough stuck a little to the cane baskets – I suspect I’ve reached the maximum hydration that I can prove in the bannetons – but the excess brushed off quite easily.

I managed to get a crumb shot this time before the wolves descended!

. . . . .

My lovely friend Joanna recently posted her recipe for 100% Russian rye sourdough loaves.

Both the recipe and the process were intriguing – the dough is mixed in two stages without kneading, and then left to rise for an extended time.

I didn’t bother bulk proving the dough, and instead scraped the batter into two long loaf tins as soon as it was mixed.   These were covered and then left to rise on top of the fish tank for about seven hours, until the dough appeared over-inflated and on the verge of collapse.

After baking, we wrapped the loaves in paper and left them overnight (as instructed).  They were quite nice the following day, and delicious the day after that – the crumb softened and the flavour developed as the loaves matured.

It’s a tasty and very interesting bread to bake, especially if you’re partial to rye loaves.  Joanna’s original post is here!

Edit: here’s a photo of the risen, unbaked rye loaf – as you can see, it really didn’t rise at all after it went in the oven.  Having said that, several hours before this photo, it was only an inch high in the pan.

Read Full Post »

Tah-dah! Here are the first two loaves made with my new bannetons!

I still need to work on my slashes – I’m yet to master controlling the oven spring with my razor cuts.  But overall, I’m pretty happy with how these turned out!

I dusted the proofing baskets like a mad woman – there was about half a cup of excess rye flour after the loaves were turned out…

I tried slashing a cross on the top of one loaf…

…and a fancy star shape on the other.

The cross-slashed loaf rose tall and round, bursting a little in the middle…

…whereas the star-slashed loaf expanded in a more controlled, but less vigorous fashion.

I tweaked my usual sourdough recipe to lower the hydration slightly, and added in a little semolina flour.  The dough was bulk proved overnight on the kitchen bench (it’s late autumn here, and quite cool at night), before being shaped first thing this morning.  Each loaf had a starting dough weight of just under 1kg.

  • 300g sourdough starter (fed at a ratio of 1 cup water to 1 cup flour)
  • 550g water
  • 50g olive oil
  • 200g semolina flour
  • 600g bakers/bread flour
  • 250g white spelt flour
  • 16g fine sea salt

More loaves to come!

Read Full Post »

%d bloggers like this: